Saturday, October 5, 2013

My friend the uke

The Nester created the 31 day writing challenge.  I'm looking forward to joining in and pushing to the end of 31 days with a breath of fresh air of creativity. To get my writing flowing, I'm writing 31 Days of Being Me.

At the end of June this year, I was inspired, no, driven, to buy a ukulele. I picked one out for an early birthday present for myself. I've been playing almost obsessively since.  Today, for instance, after Shabbat services, we came home, and I played. Then, we went to the playground with the kids, and I figured I'd bring my little instrument with me to practice while the kids played. What I didn't bargain for was the little audience I gathered. Within five minutes, a small group of kids gathered around me, really interested in what I was doing.


I was playing Laurie Berkner songs. I love Laurie Berkner. She is my favorite children's musician. (I would love to be like Laurie Berkner when I grow up!) Her music captures the magic of childhood with melodies that I love. I've often forgotten to turn off her music when I m in the car alone.
And the kids smiled.  My daughter came and showed off her uke skills too. I'm amazed at how powerful music really can be.  I've since spent my entire evening playing ukulele. My fingers hurt.  Which is why I stopped.





day one: 31 Days of Being Me: day one
day two: who am i?
day three: standing in the waves
day four: playing piano
day five: Five Minute Friday: write
day six: My friend the uke

No comments:

Post a Comment