Thursday, October 10, 2013

my normal

The Nester created the 31 day writing challenge.  I'm looking forward to joining in and pushing to the end of 31 days with a breath of fresh air of creativity. To get my writing flowing, I'm writing 31 Days of Being Me.

My normal is different than your normal is different than someone else's normal.  Granted, there are things that connect us all as people, but the things you do for your morning routine are different than mine.



My oldest son has a g-j tube, which puts a liquid formula directly into his intestines.  He started with a g-tube, placed in the stomach, but the acid reflux was too much for him.  We use a formula called Neocate Jr., which is broken down as far as it can get, and is anti-allergenic.  Daniel has had the tube since he was 5, and this is our normal.  Every morning, I mix up the formula, pour it into a bag, prime the tube so there are no air-bubbles.  Then, I fit it all to the pump, carefully arrange it in a specialized backpack, then attach the tube and turn it on.  ::phew::

Sometimes I've wondered why it takes us so long to get out the door.  Sometimes I forget that in our famiiy, we don't just have to make sure everyone has shoes, coats, homework, we also have to make sure Daniel has his backpack on and his medicines in him.  This is our normal.  So normal, in fact, that when my daughter approached five, she asked if she would have to get a feeding tube.  I think she thought it was what five year olds have to do, a rite of passage.

What is your normal?  It seems to me that normal is relative! 

No comments:

Post a Comment