Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Wacky Wednesday: random things, like TV

The Nester created the 31 day writing challenge.  I'm looking forward to joining in and pushing to the end of 31 days with a breath of fresh air of creativity. To get my writing flowing, I'm writing 31 Days of Being Me.

It's not that I judge a person by his or her tastes in reading or in television-viewing, but I will certainly think of a person a little differently if I know that said person understands where my imagination has been.  I grew up with many of my best friends that existed only in books, or as a TV show.  In sixth grade, I think I started to live in Narnia.  In high school, I roamed the Enterprise with Captain Picard and Data.



So.  Some of my favorite TV shows (in no particular order):
  • Once Upon a Time
  • Doctor Who (the one that started in 2005)
  • Revoloution
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • How I Met your Mother
  • Star Trek - all, mostly TNG, but also Voyager and DSN
  • Star Gate
  • Firefly
  • Anything with Mandy Patankin in it, including, but not limited to Princess Bride, Criminal Minds, Dead like Me.  I haven't seen Heartland yet, but once I heard he was in it, it's on my to-watch list.
  • Under the Dome
  • Sherlock
Ok.  Yeah, that's a lot of TV.  But it goes back years, too...

I adore the genres of Sci-Fi and Fantasy.  I think that taking life to a magical or futuristic extreme allows the human story to shine.  The setting doesn't always change the story.  People are still wonderful or horrible or lonely or shy or brave or cowardly.  Being among aliens or having the use of magic tells our story better.

Reading stories and believing in what may not be seen has augmented my faith in an Almighty God.  I see that there is and can be so much more in the world around me than what I can see.  Believing in the God of the Bible is my story.  It's the ultimate in alternative universes, and I live in the midst of it.

I'll still curl up with a good TV show or good book tonight, though.  It's how I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment