Tuesday, October 8, 2013

being me

The Nester created the 31 day writing challenge.  I'm looking forward to joining in and pushing to the end of 31 days with a breath of fresh air of creativity. To get my writing flowing, I'm writing 31 Days of Being Me.

This afternoon, I get to go to work.  I've mentioned before that I get to play the piano for a part-time job.  Making music is a part of me.  It is so much harder, though, to fit afternoon dance classes into a schedule with a family than it was before kids!  This morning, I've spent my time preparing dinners for the rest of the week.  I notice how nice it is the days I've been really prepared.  I throw the dish into the oven, and let the oven do it's heating magic.  Or, I'll have left something in the crock-pot, and we return home to a completely prepared meal that just needs to be dished out.  Thinking ahead and being prepared not only saves me from that crazy time in the evening, but it saves me from myself.

Are you like me?  Do you beat yourself up due to lack of perfection?  Then follow it by hyping yourself up?  A while ago, I was a part of a Mussar study (Jewish Ethics), and one week, we discussed humility.  It struck me over and over again that humility is not just thinking less of yourself than others.  Humility is being honest and truthful about yourself.  If I say that I'm the worst housewife ever, that is not true.  It is also not true if I say that I'm better than all the other moms out there.  The truth is generally somewhere in between.
Humble yourselves in the sight of Adonai, and He shall lift you up.  James 4:10
And so, in humility I can say that yesterday I didn't clean the bathroom, but you know what?  Today I did.  And dinner is ready for tonight, and I'm working on the rest of the week.  The table is ready, but for some reason, my ukulele keeps ending up on the island in the kitchen.





day one: 31 Days of Being Me: day one
day two: who am i?
day three: standing in the waves
day four: playing piano
day five: Five Minute Friday: write
day six: My friend the uke
day seven:#31days blogs I'm reading
day eight: being me

No comments:

Post a Comment