Friday, April 4, 2014

Five Minute Friday :: Writer

I'm joining Lisa-Jo Baker for her Five Minute Friday.  Her rules:
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.

The word today is writer. GO.
Part of being a writer is to believe. I can write, I know that I do. I know that I am skilled at writing well-constructed, reasonably grammatically-correct sentences. I've been trained in such things. Give me a topic, and I can likely write something up for you. But to do real writing, to be a real writer, what does that mean? I feel like I'm pretending sometimes. 

I talk about writing, I write a little, and I wonder why I bother. I did this week. Then, I read about five posts that had similar messages: write your story. That was all in one day, mind you...and the day after that. 

To write sometimes feels different than being a "writer". Such a word holds connotations like "important" and "artist," someone who knows what she is doing. I went to the Yale Art Gallery yesterday, and looked at Van Gogh's painting, The Night Cafe. Did you know that the table in the center of the painting isn't square? I mean, it's not a great table if you were going to use it as a blueprint to build one. And yet, his art is famous and beautiful!

I suspect being a writer is a little like that.

And STOP.

Thanks for stopping by! While you're here, will you check out my Shabbat Devotional and my Passover series? I appreciate you reading, and I appreciate loving comments.

Five Minute Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment