Monday, March 24, 2014

Path to Passover :: Not Perfect

This is about the time of year where I'm simultaneously planning and freaking out. Keeping Passover isn't something I grew up with, so my traditions have been developed over the last 15 years or so. So I'm not an expert.

And there's lots of resources, recipes, and directions out there on how to get ready for Passover from people who know what they're talking about.

Despite this, Passover is probably my favorite Jewish holiday. The center of celebration is in the home. It's in the searching for leaven, and cleaning it out. The mundane becomes holy. Our daily chores become a work of sanctification. Spring cleaning becomes more than just spring cleaning. It becomes a spiritual discipline.

Having said that, my work is always far from perfect. The first thing I do, even before I make lists of things to clean is to modify my current routines. Once the spring hits, I start thinking of the things I can start to do to make things easier on myself when it gets to the final push. I'm working to keep things clean and not let it get too dirty. So that when I go to wipe down the counters the week of Passover, I don't have to scrape down the counters. I'll just wipe and go.

Oh, and my first favorite resource for how to get ready is here, Kosher on a Budget. Her lists and how-tos for getting ready for Passover helped me a ton last year!

Let's get ready for Passover!

No comments:

Post a Comment